Courier Mk.4-T street car, Mass.USA

Victoracing

Courier Mk.4-T street car, Mass.USA

Post by Victoracing » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:44 pm

Well optioned Mk.4-T from Kim Baker, broker in MA.

MGB, TruTrack IRS, bigger disk brakes, wire wheels
needs bodywork and interior restored, but mechanically sound and running.

http://vintageracecarsales.com/portfoli ... -type-irs/

No financial interest in the sale.
Dec.2018
the Registry guy,
Gary Cossaboon

BC-Thats-Me

Re: Courier Mk.4-T street car, Mass.USA

Post by BC-Thats-Me » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:49 pm

Great base for a race car, I wonder if it really is "Factory equipped with much larger front and rear brakes" and if so what are they? I have asked the vendor, also the asking price, I've never understood why people don't publish that!

BC-Thats-Me

Post by BC-Thats-Me » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:33 am

O.K. so established that it has standard Mk4T brakes, the vendor was just pointing out that they were larger than some other Couriers. Asking $15K ONO which sounds fair if the chassis is solid, although why the ally floors? Did the originals rot or was it one of the cars which had fibreglass floors fitted originally that fell out? Does anyone know which cars had the fibreglass floors?

Victoracing

Post by Victoracing » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:41 pm

Lightweight? That would be a find! Hiding in plain sight.

You, Dr. Dan Mitchell, and Cliff Murray would be the reliable sources to establish if E1162 is a lightweight C4-T.
New readers see the post in the History section, "Sebring Lightweights".

I would like to see RHD, a lightened frame (thought to be holes cut in rails), limited-slip diff, wing vents and fiberglass doors.
Other features could have been "lost" through the years: alloy brake calipers, race-valved dampers, oversize petrol tank with twin pumps.
I've borrowed a pic of the rear suspension/IRS for discussion's sake; being not familiar enough with TT to spot adjustable wishbone and competition shocks.
E1162 TruTrack IRS.jpg
Now how to inspect it without alerting Bear that it might be $pecial? Buy it as a solid late Courier and be pleasantly surprised when you get it apart for rebuild.

gc
the Registry guy,
Gary Cossaboon

cmaxcliff

Post by cmaxcliff » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:09 pm

It is not a lightweight. The tin floors are the first thing to rust out on these. My Sebring had fiberglass floors and very thin fiberglass doors with recessed exterior door handles as well as a small grill opening and fender vents. This yellow car is a standard mk4T. It is very original and even has its original engine! It had a heater that is no longer there. I wish my car was this nice when I got it. It even still has the original rear fender arches, wow! I would expect the frame to have rust. I like it. $15k is fair but expect to be in the red if you restore it.
DSC_0011.jpg
Cliff Elva-2.jpg

59elva

Post by 59elva » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:33 pm

Silly question. Did the Mk.4 use an MGB windshield? The street car photos look different than the Mk.2 and 3s.
BB

jwilliams

Post by jwilliams » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:13 am

Yes.
Not a silly question. Your observation is correct.